Thursday, January 31, 2008

Word on the street is...Moldova!

Moldova has been getting news attention lately and I was wondering if anyone saw Comedy Central's-Colbert Report about how Moldova is the most depressing place to live in the WORLD. So that's AWESOME. Way to choose'm Ry!!!! haha


Really this is a bit ridiculous..... but now Moldova is famous.(here's the video online if you want to watch!)

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/index.jhtml?ml_video=147832

Also, the New York Times wrote an article by Robert Strauss recently about Peace Corps as an organization. It basically was about how Peace Corps wants to recruit older volunteers and how useless PC is in helping developing countries because most volunteers are younger and without work experience. In my opinion, and I have a lot of opinions about this topic in general of course, but to sum it up, "young inexperienced" people have the energy and minds that are more flexible and adaptable. Not everyone, but MOST volunteers kick ass here. Moldova is a madhouse. A certified teacher coming here really needs to UNLEARN the education and experience they came here with because it's totally different here! Everyone goes through the three month training period where you learn how to work in consideration of the conditions, what to teach, how to teach, lesson plans, etc. You learn what you need during the training period, I've heard even experienced teachers say this. We have practice school, our manager makes site visits, we are WATCHED! It's not like we are set completely loose to be idiots. Peace Corps's reputation represents America as a whole and they don't want us to make them look bad, so we do a good job or we get kicked out.I am mainly speaking about the health program here.

As far as Peace Corps's goals to increase the number of volunteers they send out I agree that it would be more effective and efficient to go deeper with more specific goals and fewer numbers as opposed to having increased numbers with broader goals.

Anyway, I support Peace Corps as an organization. I was a little afraid when I joined that I would be "americanizing" some cute little village, but after the amazing projects and help my fellow volunteers and I have contributed to this country, I stand by the efforts whole-heartedly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home