Happy 24th
Happy Birthday!
Last weekend was fabulous. I missed some people pretty badly, but kept busy and just had myself a real nice time.
My bday: December 10 was a riot. Now 24 “feisty like never before!” I had to adapt my “23..best age to be..” slogan….I think it works. Anyway, here’s what I did on my 24th…
I came into Chisinau (the capital of Moldova) for the weekend.
Friday the 9th, I went to a Jim Morrison tribute band (it was his bday) and was in absolute heaven throwing back a couple beers in a smoky bar listening to some of my all-time favorite songs…there was also a screen behind the band playing his live performances…man what a crazy rockstar, a genius. Love em. Anyway, I went with a few other volunteers and one of them knew the band so we got VIP treatment…front best table..food, booze..it was really cool. I am working on putting together an AIDS benefit concert this summer and there were a lot of cool bands there so I was all over the place working it and trying to sucker them into playing for us this summer (of course it’s Peace Corps so it’s free…but it will be a lot of publicity so who cares.) Anyway, it's awesome being American b/c it's not as annoying to ask people to do things for free cuz they are more interested in what you are doing...and I got autographs and made friends with one the Russian bands’s girlfriends ….she actually speaks English so we exchanged numbers so I think they are in the bag. We’ll see..anyway I am really excited about this concert though since it will be my first of hopefully a career full of massive benefit concerts.
Saturday THE B-DAY PARTY
There were lots of December bdays so we(volunteers) shared this underground old Soviet bar.. we made it a “black and white” dress party…also decked it out in an Alice in Wonderland theme with cards everywhere, roses, etc. and Tammy painted people’s faces…one room was pretty chill with tables, candles, little apple pastry things my best PC friend Liz and I made..along with sangria…
And the other room had an American blues band..one of the volunteers is in a Moldovan band….it was 30 lei at the door ($4) and we used 2 karate big muscle dudes for bouncers. Possibly the coolest party I have ever been a part of throwing..(sorry Maryville boys..it did come in close to the parties on 1st street and the one where you had to drink a goldfish for a free keg cup…but this one had Russian bartender girls so they win…haha)
It was a hit and we made our money back plus breakfast the next morning so I was happy.
Sunday MY ACTUAL bday…..
Woke up with paint on my face, a headache and a horrid day carrying lots of shit and riding rutieras (a crammed bus) getting back to my site. I had miraculously been prepared with all Monday’s prep work beforehand..so I just decided to stay Sunday and continue the celebration…(I know I’m just like my Momma..she’s STILL celebrating her 29th bday haha Mom ;)
Anyway, I stayed. I got a free tae kwan do lesson from a master (who is an older volunteer and is amazing..he is over 50 is more poised than Madonna its’ crazy) Then walked around the city by myself listening to my ipod nano…then bought my train ticket to Prague for Christmas.
I am going with 2 other girls and spending x-mas in Prague…staying there for a few days..then we are going to Poland to meet up with 3 other volunteers. Claudia (volunteer) has family in Poland so it will be cool to meet her family and experience the culture. Then she is taking us around…maybe Aushawitz (sp?) and none of us have gone skiing and it’s only like $20 so might do that too…then back to Chisinau for New Year’s Eve and I don’t have plans for that yet.
Anyway after buying the ticket and all that I went to another blues show in the evening…my new Moldovan friend Masha who speaks English very well gave me some balloons after the show and we played with them in the living room of a volunteer’s apartment..had ice cream..and I had a blast.
AND you guys thought I was working…HAH.
Nah, I’m just kidding…I am at site now and have loads of work preparing for second semester.
Oh yeaH….and I almost forgot to mention the coolest part of my bday…amazing people. So on Monday..when I had to return back to site REAL early in the morning I came to school and before class my entire school sang me HAPPY BIRTHDAY “teacher” in English!!!!! And one of my 5th graders gave me flowers and my tutor had taught her a little message. It was kind of weird but really really sweet. “Dearest teacher, we congratulate you on the day of your birth December 10 day.” I also got a plant and some old lady perfume that I am wearing..hehe. My volunteer friends gave me 2 pendants..one is a jeweled spider and another is a beaded flower…which I am also wearing as I write now…
;)j/k (But if my friends read this…I love them I swear!) I love pendants.
But yes a really great bday this year.
So anyway, I am well although I am definetely not looking forward to my 1st Christmas away from home. It makes me ache to even think about it. But I will be spending time doing my 2nd favorite thing which is traveling..and I did remember to put Xmas Chipmunks soundtrack on my nano before I left home so I am all set. Happy holidays to all those at home and also Happy Hannakah for those jewish..it starts Friday I think?
Other news:
Front page headliner:
Here is the official notice that Brandon and I have mutually decided to break up. He is still awesome and of course we are still on good terms. He actually had dinner with my family on my bday and that was really cool. Thank you guys for being so cool. That was really touching.
about the reasoning for the breakup...i should think that would be fairly obvious but if not, here it is in Romanian, hopefully that will make it a little more clear....
Suflet mea simsitz foarte rau despre aceasta si eu nu vreau dar este necesar pentru ca noi nu putem sa mergem impreuna asa este mai dificil.
Good luck finding a Romanian dictionary. ;)
I will post pics soon...I am out of battery juice.
Take care I love you all and thanks for reading my silly blog.
Ry
Last weekend was fabulous. I missed some people pretty badly, but kept busy and just had myself a real nice time.
My bday: December 10 was a riot. Now 24 “feisty like never before!” I had to adapt my “23..best age to be..” slogan….I think it works. Anyway, here’s what I did on my 24th…
I came into Chisinau (the capital of Moldova) for the weekend.
Friday the 9th, I went to a Jim Morrison tribute band (it was his bday) and was in absolute heaven throwing back a couple beers in a smoky bar listening to some of my all-time favorite songs…there was also a screen behind the band playing his live performances…man what a crazy rockstar, a genius. Love em. Anyway, I went with a few other volunteers and one of them knew the band so we got VIP treatment…front best table..food, booze..it was really cool. I am working on putting together an AIDS benefit concert this summer and there were a lot of cool bands there so I was all over the place working it and trying to sucker them into playing for us this summer (of course it’s Peace Corps so it’s free…but it will be a lot of publicity so who cares.) Anyway, it's awesome being American b/c it's not as annoying to ask people to do things for free cuz they are more interested in what you are doing...and I got autographs and made friends with one the Russian bands’s girlfriends ….she actually speaks English so we exchanged numbers so I think they are in the bag. We’ll see..anyway I am really excited about this concert though since it will be my first of hopefully a career full of massive benefit concerts.
Saturday THE B-DAY PARTY
There were lots of December bdays so we(volunteers) shared this underground old Soviet bar.. we made it a “black and white” dress party…also decked it out in an Alice in Wonderland theme with cards everywhere, roses, etc. and Tammy painted people’s faces…one room was pretty chill with tables, candles, little apple pastry things my best PC friend Liz and I made..along with sangria…
And the other room had an American blues band..one of the volunteers is in a Moldovan band….it was 30 lei at the door ($4) and we used 2 karate big muscle dudes for bouncers. Possibly the coolest party I have ever been a part of throwing..(sorry Maryville boys..it did come in close to the parties on 1st street and the one where you had to drink a goldfish for a free keg cup…but this one had Russian bartender girls so they win…haha)
It was a hit and we made our money back plus breakfast the next morning so I was happy.
Sunday MY ACTUAL bday…..
Woke up with paint on my face, a headache and a horrid day carrying lots of shit and riding rutieras (a crammed bus) getting back to my site. I had miraculously been prepared with all Monday’s prep work beforehand..so I just decided to stay Sunday and continue the celebration…(I know I’m just like my Momma..she’s STILL celebrating her 29th bday haha Mom ;)
Anyway, I stayed. I got a free tae kwan do lesson from a master (who is an older volunteer and is amazing..he is over 50 is more poised than Madonna its’ crazy) Then walked around the city by myself listening to my ipod nano…then bought my train ticket to Prague for Christmas.
I am going with 2 other girls and spending x-mas in Prague…staying there for a few days..then we are going to Poland to meet up with 3 other volunteers. Claudia (volunteer) has family in Poland so it will be cool to meet her family and experience the culture. Then she is taking us around…maybe Aushawitz (sp?) and none of us have gone skiing and it’s only like $20 so might do that too…then back to Chisinau for New Year’s Eve and I don’t have plans for that yet.
Anyway after buying the ticket and all that I went to another blues show in the evening…my new Moldovan friend Masha who speaks English very well gave me some balloons after the show and we played with them in the living room of a volunteer’s apartment..had ice cream..and I had a blast.
AND you guys thought I was working…HAH.
Nah, I’m just kidding…I am at site now and have loads of work preparing for second semester.
Oh yeaH….and I almost forgot to mention the coolest part of my bday…amazing people. So on Monday..when I had to return back to site REAL early in the morning I came to school and before class my entire school sang me HAPPY BIRTHDAY “teacher” in English!!!!! And one of my 5th graders gave me flowers and my tutor had taught her a little message. It was kind of weird but really really sweet. “Dearest teacher, we congratulate you on the day of your birth December 10 day.” I also got a plant and some old lady perfume that I am wearing..hehe. My volunteer friends gave me 2 pendants..one is a jeweled spider and another is a beaded flower…which I am also wearing as I write now…
;)j/k (But if my friends read this…I love them I swear!) I love pendants.
But yes a really great bday this year.
So anyway, I am well although I am definetely not looking forward to my 1st Christmas away from home. It makes me ache to even think about it. But I will be spending time doing my 2nd favorite thing which is traveling..and I did remember to put Xmas Chipmunks soundtrack on my nano before I left home so I am all set. Happy holidays to all those at home and also Happy Hannakah for those jewish..it starts Friday I think?
Other news:
Front page headliner:
Here is the official notice that Brandon and I have mutually decided to break up. He is still awesome and of course we are still on good terms. He actually had dinner with my family on my bday and that was really cool. Thank you guys for being so cool. That was really touching.
about the reasoning for the breakup...i should think that would be fairly obvious but if not, here it is in Romanian, hopefully that will make it a little more clear....
Suflet mea simsitz foarte rau despre aceasta si eu nu vreau dar este necesar pentru ca noi nu putem sa mergem impreuna asa este mai dificil.
Good luck finding a Romanian dictionary. ;)
I will post pics soon...I am out of battery juice.
Take care I love you all and thanks for reading my silly blog.
Ry

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home