Thursday, November 29, 2007

Over the hump

Back on the camel!!!!

The 2 biggest humps in the past 1 1/2 yrs. of Peace Corps has been 1) returning to Moldova after my visit to America and 2) last month.
I am finally over that round of funerals and seeing numai the ugly side of Moldova. It can really bring you down if you let it! All my friends, family, and Adam bring peace all the time.

But here's a special shout-out notably required to Charles, Kberg, and Annie (volunteers). They were very helpful in pulling me through the muck. An open ear and little judegment go a long way in my book. Thanks guys, I owe you an ice cream. So happy this round of down is out!

Anyway, now i feel great. Ready to start kicking ass again! (I totally have been for the past 2 weeks but just haven't had the chance to write.)

A lot has happened since I last wrote, so let me see if I can catch everyone up to a equitable speed.

I moved.

I have my own apartment and am no longer living in a village.

I am now working at a creative children's organization. (in addition to the village school that I go back to 3 days a week)

I was helping an organization with a benefit concert with a very famous musican but it was cancelled by the mayor.

I was in a car accident and hurt my arm a bit and bruised up my legs, all minor injuries, PC took care of me and I even received a sweet arm sling that I believe will be the latest fad in Moldova very soon.

Peace Corps cancelled our annual All-Volunteer Conference (Thanksgiving feast) so I helped with a petition letter and we were denied, but at least we tried.

With some help, I threw an amazing Thanksgiving party for 25 people (volunteers and Moldovans). it was gorgeous. I felt like a mini-hero. This was a funny theme for the weekend.

The next day, I saved a dog that was trapped in an old Soviet block fountain. It couldn't get out and we all were walking by and heard it yelping. It was just far enough down to wear the lil guy couldn't jump out. All 6 of us looked around at each other hoping someone else would do it. I am not usually that brave one. I am more of a support-cha from the audience kind of gal. But this time it was my turn.
I was scared he would bite me, as I am not a huge animal-in-my-face person (i prefer fish), but I got down in there and he looked at me with pleading (infamous) "puppy eyes" and I couldn't leave him there. I hopped down in there and waited a minute for him to bite me. He didn't. So then I scooped the lil guy out and he was so cute. He wagged his tail and followed us around like our little mascot the rest of the way home. I felt like a mini-hero.
Later that night, like a bunch of hooligans we were, we climbed on a retired, old Soviet war tank. It was bizarre. I don't know why, but it was.
The boys were basically reformed into GI Joes and they are always amused when girls do things that normally only boys do so I climbed the stupid tank too for their sake. I was rewarded with a high-five and again felt like a mini-hero. Ha. It was a fantastic weekend. Great times with great people.

I cut open my first pomengranite. What an interesting fruit. It's like eating sweet popcorn kernals.

I finally saw an episode of The Office. Yeah, okay okay, it's funny.

My best friend Danielle had a baby. (congrats girl!)

My sister Erin is going to have a baby. I am sad I can't be with her to take care of her because she is very sick with this one. Good luck, you are in my thoughts all the time.

Brandon was robbed on Thanksgiving!

My other best friend dropped off the face of the planet (Suza-where you at girl?)

A friend from high school past away from meth. That was quite a shocker.

My Peace Corps Program Managers came to my site to see the work I've been doing and it went very well. It was nice to show someone what I do. Most people, understandably, get a glassy eye look (or ear over the phone haha) when I talk about work.

Adam is coming to visit!

I will turn 25 on December 10th! (and of course will be organizing a killer event!)

Christmas is coming and I am finalizing vacation plans.

Somewhere in there, I also worked a lot, attended the largest wine festival in the world, helped organize a cabin weekend to share experiences with the newer volunteers, and helped throw a Halloween party.

That's about it.

Take care and keep on rockin in the free world!!!!!

all my love,
Ry

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan! I love the dog story!! Is this the same girl who is sixth grade went running down the street screaming because a dog was following her?... Meghan and I had to run after you and calm you down?Kuddos...one small step for Ryan, one gaint leap for dogs...Hope everything is great with you!! hugs XOXO Christina

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home